Thug attack spotlights rock’s attitude to violence
A war of words has erupted online regarding rock fans’ attitude to violence after a thug viciously attacked a woman at a US music festival last weekend.
Gossip site TMZ published a video clip of a man who appears to be in his mid to late 50s taking a run at a younger woman and lashing out with a kick that knocks her backwards.
The assault takes place after he behaved in a threatening manner to others at the Rockfest in Kansas City.
TMZ and media outlets following their story have linked the violent man to rock music, and in particular to Slash, who was on stage when the incident took place. They point out the victim looks like Jersey Shore reality TV star Snooki, who was recently assaulted on the show.
TMZ reports: “An unidentified Snook-alike took a hard boot to the face from a very angry, very large male. The man had already gotten physical with other concertgoers when the Snook-alike decided to tell him off. The man — who didn’t appreciate the criticism — responded by planting his foot right in her grill … dropping her to the floor like a sack of potatoes … and igniting a massive brawl involving a bunch of scary looking individuals. Eventually, the fight was broken up … and sources at the scene tell us the Snook-alike appeared to be OK.”
Rock and metal media outlets have attempted to redress the balance.
Noisecreep says: “There is no need for such violence at rock shows. It makes the community and the scene look bad. We know, it’s the actions of one jackass, but one bad apple often spoils the bunch, at least in media perception.”
Loudwire comments: “Guys like this thug here serve as complete misrepresentations of how rock and metal fans act at live shows. If someone falls, you pick them back up, if someone drops their glasses, you give the person space to find them again. If you go against what is best for your fellow concertgoers, you will be exiled.”
But some readers of those outlets have come out in favour of the act of violence. Facebook comments on the Noisecreep and Loudwire pages include:
- U wanna act like a guy take the hits or else shut the fuck up and keep working on that tann
- I would have done the exact same thing! You run your mouth…You get punted in the gut. I would have blasted everybody that came running too.
- Yeah but deserved it…..just like Snooki deserved it when that guy puched her in the face at that bar on the show. That was freakin HILLARIOUS!!!!!
- It’s not chivalry to protect scum.
- You see the way that thing was running her mouth she prolly desverved it…..
- A snookie look a like he should have busted a cap in her dumb ass!
- I laughed my ass off when I watched it. She went flying!!
- I would have kicked her harder.
- This is funny because the girl was asking for it and then had a bunch of guys defend her cause she couldn’t do it herself.
- I’m tired of this gender inequality. If a PERSON deserves it, they’re going to get it. Period.