The Who get all-star tribute album
The Who are the subject of an all-star tribute album set for release on October 2, starring some of the biggest names in rock’n'roll history.
The 16-track record features many of the band’s best-known songs recorded in one-off collaborations. Contributors include Joe Elliott, Rick Wakeman, Dave Davies, Iggy Pop, Randy Bachman, Ginger Bakerm Joe Lynn Turner, Ian Paice and KK Downing.
Cleopatra Records, behind the release, say: “The Who has sold over 100 million records, had 27 top 40 hits, 17 top ten albums and have been certified gold 18 times, platinum 12 times and multi-platinum five times. They have been described as one of the greatest rock bands in history by Rolling Stone, the Grammy Foundation, VH1 and the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts.
“With such weight put on this band’s musical output, the contributors to Who Are You have brought every ounce of creativity, attitude and reverence to the collection.”
1. Eminence Front – John Wetton (Asia); KK Downing (Judas Priest), Derek Sherinian (Black Country Communion)
2. Baba O’Riley – Nektar; Jerry Goodman (Mahavishnu Orchestra)
3. I Can See for Miles – Mark Lindsay (Paul Revere and the Raiders); Wayne Kramer (MC5)
4. Love Reign O’er Me – Joe Elliott (Def Leppard); Rick Wakeman; Huw Lloyd-Langton (Hawkwind); Carmine Appice (Vanilla Fudge)
5. My Generation – Knox (Vibrators); Dave Davies (Kinks); Rat Scabies (Damned)
6. The Kids are Alright – The Raveonettes
7. Won’t Get Fooled Again – Sweet
8. Anyway Anyhow Anywhere – Todd Rundgren; Carmine Appice
9. I Can’t Explain – Iggy Pop
10. Behind Blue Eyes – Pat Travers
11. Magic Bus – Peter Noone (Herman’s Hermits); Peter Banks (Yes); Ginger Baker (Cream)
12. Who Are You – Gretchen Wilson; Randy Bachman (Bachman-Turner Overdrive)
13. Pinball Wizard – Terry Reid; Mike Pinera (Blues Image); Brad Gillis (Night Ranger)
14. Squeeze Box – John Wesley (Porcupine Tree); David Cross (King Crimson)
15. Bargain – .38 Special; Ted Turner (Wishbone Ash); Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
16. The Seeker – Joe Lynn Turner; Leslie West (Mountain)