Judas Priest: 10 Reasons Why They Are Metal!
Last week My Chemical Romance’s Gerard Way shocked us all by claiming that Judas Priest were not a metal band. So, we thought we’d come up with 10 good reasons as to why he’s wrong. So, here we go!
- Almost every significant metal band of the past 30 years regards the Priest as one of the founding fathers of the music.
- The band came up with the image that we all regard as ‘metal’.
- Rob Halford rides a Haley Davidson onstage – that’s metal!
- The band were one of the first – if not the first – to totally embrace being called metal.
- Look at the song titles. Metal Gods, Painkiller, Screaming For Vengeance, The Ripper. Not metal?!
- Look at what they write about: serial killers, mythical creatures, breaking the law, the joys of metal.
- Those album sleeves are deffo metal inspired.
- The band are called the ‘metal gods’. Nuff said.
- Priest have been accused of using backwards messages to ‘inspire’ self harm and violence among fans. A typical accusation against prominent metal artists.
- Someone from My Comic Romance says they’re not metal, therefore they must be!
OK, so Priest don’t need to prove their metal credentials to anyone. But sometimes it’s a good thing to remind ourselves just how great – and how metal! – they are.