Hard Rock Hell – The First Bands Reviewed!
Come inside for a quickfire reaction to some of the first bands to appear at the 2009 Hard Rock Hell festival.
* Remedy – The first band we saw on the opening day (Friday, December 4). Girl singer was a soulful belter but the material was somewhat one-dimensional.
* Waylander – Michael Flatley mayhem! Death metal growling with traditional Irish instruments. Strangely compelling… or strangely awful – take your pick.
* Dead Against The Rest – Imagine The Sex Pistols playing Iron Maiden covers, with a lead singer who looks like Meat Loaf and twirls the mic like David Lee Roth. Good effort!
* Hanging Doll – The best wind machines in the house. So loud, they made the sleeves of your jacket ripple. But the band’s angsty goth metal subtleties were lost in the deafening sonics.
* Die Apokalyptischen Reiter – Efficient Germanic pummeling.
* Logan – Just call these dodgy Scottish rockers McNickelback, okay?
* Right – we’re outta here. We just caught Swedish all-girl band Hysterica heading for a pre-show meal at the Beachcomber restuarant… hmm, wonder if herring is on the menu?!
Tags: Hard Rock Hell