Van Halen ‘nearly died’ in health scare
Health scare: Van Halen
Eddie Van Halen came close to death in his recent health scare, a newspaper says.
The National Enquirer reports the guitar icon nearly lost his life after suffering severe intestinal problems.
And the cause is said to have been a controversial diet which replaces food with a liquid concoction of fruit and pepper.
The report says Van Halen was “clinging to life when he was rushed to the hospital in excruciating pain” recently. Wife Janie, son Wolfgang and ex-wife Valerie all “feared the worst.”
A source tells the paper: “They were sick with worry because he was in so much pain. It really was touch and go.”
The 57-year-old was apparently the victim of the Master Cleanse Diet, which involves abstaining from normal nutrition and instead drinking a mixture of water, lemon juice, maple syrup and cayenne pepper. It promises rapid weight loss, but the lack of energy-giving properties combined with high volumes of spice have aroused suspicion and concern among medical experts.
Van Halen is predicted to make a full recovery, although doctors say he’s likely to be sidelined for up to six months. The official reason given for his illness was diverticulitis, caused when pockets, known as diverticula, form in the colon then become infected and inflamed.
The band were forced to cancel their November tour of Japan, but promised to reschedule in 2013.